The name of the medicine is cyclosporine and it is used popularly for the treatment of the eye condition called dry eye syndrome. It is also referred to as generic restasis in the world of medicines. Cyclosporine has proven to be of great use in the treatment of this eye condition. To total strength of the components found in this medicine is about 0.05%. This medicine belongs to the medicine class called Immunomoulators.
What is dry eye syndrome?
It is a medical condition of the eye due to which the fluids in the eyes get dried up. Due to the drying up of the fluids the patients develop other eye diseases, such as glaucoma. The diagnosis of this eye syndrome usually reveals that the tear glands have become incapable of producing the lubricants or tears in the eye and this is the reason why the dryness is caused. The lack of production of the natural fluid causes irritation in the eye in the beginning and if unattended may even result in permanent blindness.
How does cyclosporine help in the treatment of dry eye syndrome?
The regular use of cyclosporine treats this eye condition by healing the tear glands and allowing it to regain its ability to produce tears. It is a long term cure for the dry eye syndrome as it heals at the cellular level and increases the immunity. It does not provide superficial treatment.
In fact, majority of the medicines for the treatment of this condition in the market are meant to supply the fluids to the eye temporarily. They induce artificial tears in the eyes and lubricate it. But, besides providing the immediate relief, it is also important to treat this problem from the root. This is the reason why cyclosporine is so popular. It works on the underlying cause and not just the symptoms.
What happens if dry eye syndrome is not treated?
Usually this eye condition is temporary. However, in certain cases it can be chronic as well. The eye inflammation can also result in the dryness leading to temporary dry eye syndrome. If the condition is not treated, it can lead to more severe problems, such as permanent blindness. Cyclosporine is used for treating both temporary and chronic condition.
How to buy cyclosporine?
This medicine is available over the counter at the local chemist shop. You can also buy it online. It is available in the form of injection, pill as well as eye-drop. Usually the doctors recommend eye-drop as it provides instant relief too.
Cyclosporine works on the root cause of the problem. This means that it is not a palliative medicine. It has also been approved by FDA. By restoring the ability of the tear glands to produce tears, this medicine makes sure that the eyes remain lubricated.
How does this medicine actually work?
Cyclosporine is used for the treatment of dry eye syndrome. It works on the root cause of the disease and thus is a permanent or long-term solution to the problem. This medicine provides healing at the cellular level by enhancing the immunity. It takes care of the causes that prevent the tear glands from producing tears.
- The working mechanism of every medicine is different. Each medicine works in its own way to give specific results. There are a lot of medicines in the market whose working mechanism is known. However, there are some whose working mechanism is not known yet. Cyclosporine is one such medicine whose working mechanism is not known to us yet.
- Studies are underway to find the working mechanism.
- The best part is that although the working mechanism is not known to us, the medicine has still proven its worth. It has treated dry eye syndrome for a lot of people around the world.
Is there any specific dosage instruction I need to follow?
Yes, there are certain dosage instructions to follow as given below:
- 1 drop of this medicine is prescribed by the doctor for the treatment of the dry eye syndrome. Typically, 2 doses are recommended in a day.
- The two doses of cyclosporine should be at least 12 hours apart.
- The dosage should not be increased without the approval of the eye doctor.
- Once the drop has been poured, make sure you keep your eyes closed for a few minutes. This will make sure that the medicine has spread evenly across the eye.
- The medicine treats the syndrome but it takes a few weeks. In the meantime you may be recommended artificial tear inducing ophthalmic solution for temporary relief.
- The artificial tear inducing drops should be taken at least 30 minutes after cyclosporine
- Once cyclosporine has restored the capability of the tear glands to produce natural lubricants or tears, the artificial tears will not be needed.
What precautions do I need to take while using cyclosporine?
Those who have any infection in the eye should not use the medicine without speaking to the doctor first.
- The components of cyclosporine may result in allergic reactions in some patients. If this is the case, it best to inform the doctor about it immediately.
- Cyclosporine may cause burning sensation in the eye. This is normal. It fades away after a while. However, if it gets worse make sure you see the doctor immediately.
- Pregnant women must not use this medicine as the components of cyclosporine may get passed on to the foetus. Pregnant women must therefore consult the doctor before starting the use.
- Lactating mother should also consult the doctor first. Some contents of cyclosporine may pass into the breast milk.
- Do not use cyclosporine without consulting the doctor if you are already using any other eye drop or medicine for dry eye syndrome.
- If you wear contact lenses, remove them before pouring the drop of cyclosporine. Do not wear them back for at least 30 minutes.