Nobody can deny this fact that smoking can lead a person towards various health illnesses. Smoking is one of the primary reasons of serious health problems all around the world. You might have heard that “smokers never get old, because they die younger”. There are millions of people across the globe that are addicted to smoking cigarette. There are several reasons behind start smoking like some teens smoke just for thrills while some think that smoking is best for peer pressure or stress. Slowly they become addicted to nicotine rich cigarettes. Whatever the reason, once you start smoking and become addicted to it, you have to face various diseases. A person who is addicted to smoking suffers from some serious health conditions most likely respiratory infections. Common cough and colds are minor complaints to these people. Some dead full diseases are also caused by smoking like cancer, cardiovascular diseases and lung diseases etc. Several other problems that cause due to smoking are kidney and liver problems. In this article we will discuss about some of the health conditions that a smoker often faces. Have a look.
Cancer: It is a fact that smokers are higher risk of cancer. According to the medical experts there are over 80% of lung cancer cases are due to smoking. Nicotine presents in cigarettes causes mouth, throat and lungs cancer. Mouth cancer is a highly common occurrence among smokers. Kidney cancer, lung cancer, stomach cancer, bladder cancer, oral cavity cancer etc. are some different types of cancers that can develop to smokers due to smoking. According to physicians people who start smoking in their early life are at higher risk of lung cancer.
Cardiovascular Diseases: Diseases related to heart, blood vessels and other related organs are called cardiovascular diseases. Coronary disease that is related to smoking leads a person to death. Nicotine presents in cigarettes increase the cholesterol levels in the blood. The arteries become narrow due to high cholesterol levels and get blocked. Due to narrowing of arteries blood clots are formed and this increases the risk of cardiovascular diseases.
Respiratory Conditions: Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD) is a nonreversible lung disease that is a combination of emphysema and chronic bronchitis. Usually heavy cigarette smokers experienced this condition. This health condition blocks airflow and makes it difficult to breathe. Emphysema is an abnormal condition of the lungs marked by decreased respiratory function. This health condition is associated with smoking. Chronic bronchitis is a form of bronchitis characterized by excess production of sputum leading to a chronic cough with lots of mucus and it also makes obstruction in air flow.
Due to regression of lung functions one can experience breathlessness. Runners who smoke find it difficult to smoke when they are running because their lungs have to work harder than usual. The stamina of a smoker is very low as compare to a non-smoker person.
Other Health Conditions that are Caused by Smoking:
- Smoking makes worsen the condition of asthma patients. It also increases the inflammation of the airways.
- People who are suffering from high blood pressure should not smoke at any cost. Smoking at this condition leads to heart attacks and strokes.
- Premature ageing is another cause of smoking. The blood supply to the skin reduced due to smoking. A smoker person has more wrinkles and paler skin as compare to non-smoker person.
- The loss of eye sight is also a result of heavy smoking. Cataract is an eye disease that involves the clouding or opacification of the natural lens of the eye and smokers are at higher risk of this eye problem.
- Chest infections, diabetic retinopathy are some other health illnesses that are also cause due to smoking.
- Smokers also cause mouth ulcers, acidic taste and increase the risk of developing all other mouth related problems.
- Chemicals present in tobacco damage the lining of the blood vessels in results one may suffer from various heart problems like strokes, heart attack etc.
- Bad breathe, loose teeth, swelling in gums are some other problems that are also caused due to smoking.
- Smoking also lead to many sexual health problems. People who are addicted to smoking experience low sexual performance. Some men face difficulties to achieve erections during love making. This is a popular sexual health illness named erectile dysfunction and this problem rises due to heavy smoking.
Smoking has only adverse effects on your health. To prevent these health complications one should quit smoking after all health is wealth. If you are also a smoker then it’s never too late to quit smoking.